Camp Airy BSA originated in or about the Summer
of 1958 by Troop 799 of the FSK District. The Camp was held at Camp Airy,
a camp for Jewish boys owned and operated by the Strauss Foundation, and
located just outside of Thurmont,
Maryland. For use of the
camp for the week, the Troop helped clean and shut-down the camp for the
winter. Eventually more troops were invited to come to Camp Airy
until the camp had grown to include all of Frederick County
scouts and Scouters.
The original concept of the camp of the camp, beyond cleaning and shutting
down the camp, was to provide a close-in camp where new scouts could adjust
to leaving home and to provide the older scouts an opportunity to complete
merit badges they had begun earlier that summer at other camps.
In 1993, the camp had grown to the point that
NCAC required the ALL Volunteer Staff of Camp Airy BSA to become certified
and accredited as a BSA Camp. Starting in 1994, Camp Airy (BSA) has become an
accredited camp of the National Capital Area Council and has remained so ever
since. The Airy (BSA) staff has also been accredited High Adventure Camp for
the Catoctin Trek (1996 - 1999) and now runs an accredited First Year Camper
program in conjunction with Camp Airy.
Camp Airy BSA is currently sponsored by Venture
Crew 758 for the benefit of the Boy Scouts of Frederick County, Maryland.